Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Life Begins at the End of your Comfort Zone

So unless this is your first time here, and you are an absolute stranger, you know that Kappa Delta is one of my greatest passions, and it has been the opportunity of a lifetime to take on the role of Leadership Development Consultant this year. Nine months ago, I started this job with my sorority, and, though very excited, I had no idea what the next year would hold. Now, after traveling over 18,600 miles to meet nearly a thousand collegians at eight different universities, I could not be more thrilled that I accepted the adventure of a lifetime. While I fiercely enjoy my frequent flier benefits, ability to relish anonymity in airports, and exceptional packing skills, my job as a LDC for Kappa Delta Sorority has taught me much more than “How to be an Effective Traveler.” This job has taught me flexibility and adaptability, understanding and teamwork, and how to survive out of a suitcase while living outside my comfort zone. Among all these things, this job has also reinforced that Kappa Delta is exactly the organization in which I belong, and that choosing to work for my National Organization was the best decision I could have made.


In this position, I take on many roles whether it is motivator, delegator, supervisor, recruiter, educator, mentor, or friend and a twelve-hour workday is a short one. I have spent a great deal of my time over the past eight months with my amazing consultant partner Hillary rebuilding the foundation of Kappa Delta’s Sigma Sigma chapter at Iowa State by leading recruitment and member education efforts, as well as officer transition and training. While certainly rewarding, this project was not without its challenges. Adapting to a new collegiate atmosphere, with its own traditions and idiosyncrasies, was a challenge in and of itself. And I quickly realized the importance of adopting self-discipline and strategic planning, as well as utilizing my strong work ethic when setting my own deadlines. After much hard work, we initiated 74 new members, and I couldn’t have been more pleased. Installing our first council of excited new leaders committed to the growth and success of the Sigma Sigma chapter was an incredibly proud and gratifying moment after months of dedication. 


As a sorority consultant, traveling is also a huge part of my job. When “on the road,” I live out of a suitcase as I visit chapters literally from coast to coast. On a typical visit, I have three to five days to work with a chapter of our national organization, meet with collegiate officers and university administrators, identify the chapter’s strengths and weaknesses, and leave them with an action plan to create positive change in their chapter. These quick assessments have taught me to seek opportunities for growth in every arena, never settling for “good enough,” but consistently striving to exceed expectations in each of our chapters, as well as in my own life. And at each institution, regardless of the chapter’s issues, or my lack of sleep or food, it is with the simplest glimmer in a new leader’s eyes or the softest “thank you” from a member that I am rejuvenated in my love for Kappa Delta, sure once again that I am in the exact job field that was intended for me.


While “Joe Accountant” in the window seat next to me may not understand the importance of my job as I attempt to explain it prior to takeoff, I am incredibly proud of the work I do. Each morning, I wake up knowing that I have the potential to change at least one student’s life today, just as a former Kappa Delta consultant changed mine within her three-day visit to the University of Tennessee in 2010. Wherever I go, I keep the vision of Kappa Delta in the forefront of my mind: to inspire women to greatness, and I am lucky enough to say that everyday Kappa Delta women everywhere continue to inspire me to reach for the same goal.


With all of this in mind, I am pleased to announce that I have chosen to take advantage of some very exciting career opportunities at Kappa Delta National Headquarters. It is with a bittersweet heart that I share with yall that I will be cutting my consultant year short because I have accepted a full-time position with Kappa Delta. I am so excited to be continuing my dedication to our sorority as a full-time staff member at Headquarters, and I am very much looking forward to moving to Memphis at the end of the month to start this new chapter of my life! I'm also thrilled to be closer to home =) Hi, Mom!


SO! Beginning January 22, I will be living and working in Memphis full-time as the interim Special Projects Coordinator for the Department of Chapter Services, and I also look forward to transitioning into the position of Chapter Services Coordinator in May! It is such an exciting time full of more new places and new experiences, and - as always - sharing them with my Kappa Delta sisters! I can't wait! Until next time...

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. WooHoo! Congratulations Girl! We are SO PROUD OF YOU! (And is it ironic that Alicia Key's "Girl on Fire" started up on my Pandora station right as I clicked onto your blog!) You'll have to fill us in when you can about what you'll be doing!

    ReplyDelete